Contact

Tuesday 21 March 2017

Simple things to do to save money in your 20s


If you're anything like me then when it comes to saving its mission impossible but with these simple steps you'll definitely start to see the extra money building up.

1. Put away a realistic amount each month
Realistic is the key word in the title. I used to put an unrealistic amount of money into my savings account each month and every month I would dip into them A LOT. So if you work out what you could realistically live on for the month and put away the extra (even if its only a tenner, every little helps)

2. Sell unwanted items
Selling items online kills two birds with one stone, putting some extra money in your pocket while getting rid of things you don't want or need anymore. With websites and apps like ebay, shpock, depop, etc. its so quick and easy to do.

3. Cut back on lifestyle
I'm not saying to become a recluse and never leave the house ever again but rather than going out clubbing every Friday and Saturday, go for one or two big nights out a month.. (venture out, I've found so many great places to go out which are miles better than any local) you'll probably save hundreds. Also don't be afraid to tell your friends that you can't afford a night out, they wont mind one bit and chances are you wont miss out on too much.

4. Buy things you need
Sure its nice to treat yourself but before you know it you're walking out of Lush with more bath bombs than days in a year, 80p in your bank account and 23 days until payday... okay maybe I'm being a tad overdramatic but can you see where I'm coming from?! Treat yourself but if you're saving towards a holiday are those £90 shoes worth it? something about having cake and eating it too springs to mind.

5. Make your own lunches for work
If you're anything like me (lazy af) and buy lunch from the shops every morning before work then maybe its time to stop. I worked out that if I ate breakfast at home rather than on the go and made sandwiches for lunch then I could save over £15 a week. Its mad. I must admit this step is still a bit of a work in progress for me but the thoughts there right?!

6. Keep the change
When my friends throw or leave small change I must look at them like they have three heads. I'm a massive change horder. I have multiple money boxes lying around and at the end of every week I simply empty my purse/pockets/bags and put all loose change in my money boxes. Its my most effective way of saving. You can save so much without realising it and after a few months you can use the money for a holiday or something you've been saving towards.

What are your tips to save money?

3 comments:

  1. Saving money is something I'm so bad at but know I need to do. I especially agree with 3 and 4, I know they're both things I need to work on and would save me so much.

    www.taintedblues.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my lunch every single day and find it one of the best ways to save money. I especially agree with 1 + 6 - such a great post! Xx

    www.teaandtoasties.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been doing for some these tips for years and the work!

    ReplyDelete